Manchester City ran out 3-0 winners over Arsenal in Round 5 of the Carling Cup on Wednesday night.

Two special second half strikes set City on their way, first Carlos Tevez fired in off the crossbar five minutes into the second half before Shaun Wright-Phillips hammered home a thunderous drive after running through unchallenged from just inside the Arsenal half. Substitute Vladimir Weiss completed the scoring with a minute to go when he turned home a cross from Craig Bellamy, also via the underside of the crossbar.


There was little to choose between Blackburn Rovers and Chelsea in Wednesday night's other tie but the home side managed to edge past their Premier League rivals to book their Semi-Final slot with a 4-3 success on spot kicks.

Blackburn took the lead through Nikola Kalinic after nine minutes but Chelsea swung the game in their favour in four early second half minutes. First substitute Didier Drogba netted after 48 minutes and then in the 52nd minute Salomon Kalou gave the Blues the advantage. The lead though only lasted for 12 minutes when the home side drew level through Brett Emerton, a goal which took the tie into extra-time.

At the start of the additional period striker Benni McCarthy scored to give Blackburn the lead for the second time in the game but Chelsea again pulled level with a last gasp equaliser, the goal came in the second minute of injury time at the end of the second period of extra-time to take the game to a penalty shoot out.

After 7 goals had been scored, Paul Robinson was the home side's hero, saving Gael Kakuta's penalty kick to send Blackburn through.


Two goals from midfielder Darron Gibson helped the holders Manchester United on their way to the Carling Cup Semi-Finals, with a 2-0 win over Tottenham Hotspur.

The 22-year-old opened the scoring on 16 minutes, with his first goal in the competition, and then doubled his and United's tally on seven minutes before the half time interval and it proved to be enough to see the Red Devils through to Wednesday's draw.


Aston Villa join United in the Semi-Finals after coming from behind to beat Portsmouth at Fratton Park. An own goal from Stillyan Petrov opened the scoring but Emile Heskey had Villa back on level terms, just two minutes later, scoring only his second goal of the season.

The visitors took the lead on 27 minutes when James Milner scored his fourth goal of the campaign and Stuart Downing added a third on 74 minutes, scoring his first Villa goal, since joining from Middlesbrough in the summer.

Nwankwo Kanu gave his side hope with a goal three minutes from time, only for Ashley Young to extend Villa's lead with just a minute to go.

Celebrating 50 years of the League Cup