Tuesday 30th August

Southampton proved too strong for Swindon Town in the Carling Cup but had to hold off a spirited fightback by the npower League 2 side before winning 3-1.

First half goals by Guly Do Prado and Jonathan Forte, together with a late strike from Ricky Lambert were enough to book Saints' passage into round three where they will meet either Charlton Athletic or Preston North End.

Swindon pulled a goal back late on through Mehdi Kerrouche before Lambert put the game beyond the home side.

An injury time winner by Stephen Dawson set Leyton Orient up with a trip to face Premier League Blackburn Rovers after they beat Bristol Rovers 3-2.

David Mooney and Ben Chorley, with a penalty, gave Orient a 2-0 lead but Chris Zebroski pulled a goal back before Eliot Richards levelled things up in injury time, only for Dawson to snatch an even later winner.

Michael Rankine and a Danny Livesey own goal helped Aldershot Town see off Carlisle United to earn a home tie against Rochdale.

Wednesday 24th August


npower Championship sides West Ham and Bristol City were dumped out of the Carling Cup as League 2 Aldershot Town and Swindon Town produced first-round shocks.

Junior Stanislas superbly curled the Hammers in front from 25-yards in the 16th minute, but debutant Callum McNaughton's dismissal two minutes after half-time for a professional foul on Danny Hylton proved the turning point.

Luke Guttridge grabbed the Shots' equaliser 13 minutes from time, following up after Alex Rodman's effort was kept out by the legs of keeper Ruud Boffin, and Hylton drove home substitute Jermaine McGlashan's cross with only a minute remaining.

Swindon stunned their South-West rivals with a 1-0 win at Ashton Gate, Italian striker Raffaele De Vita heading home 19 minutes from time with the aid of poor marking. Paolo Di Canio's men were well worth their victory in a tie finally taking place after being postponed following the riots across the country earlier this month and dominated against a City side who were lacklustre throughout.


Everton came from behind to beat League 1 Sheffield United 3-1 at Goodison in the second round, with all the goals coming in the first half. Richard Cresswell put the Blades in front but diverted the ball into his own net moments later after keeper Steve Simonsen had got a palm to a strike by Jack Rodwell.

The Toffees then took control of the game, with finishes from Victor Anichebe (37) and Mikel Arteta (42) seeing them into round three.

Luis Suarez inspired Liverpool to a routine 3-1 win over Exeter City. The Uruguay striker scored his side's first goal and then teed up Maxi Rodriguez and Andy Carroll to put the result beyond doubt.

Daniel Nardiello pulled a goal back for the Devon side with an 80th-minute penalty after being fouled by Martin Skrtel.

Blackburn Rovers enjoyed a 3-1 win over League 1 Sheffield Wednesday after a flying start at Ewood Park. Ruben Rochina scored twice in the first four minutes, turning home from close range after being picked out by first Brett Emerton and then David Goodwillie, before the Scot made it 3-0 in the seventh minute.

Clinton Morrison pulled one back early in the second half but Rovers were rarely troubled and Rochina twice went close to his hat-trick.


Bolton Wanderers survived an early setback to beat League 2 side Macclesfield Town, who caused one of the biggest shocks in the previous round, 2-1.

Emile Sinclair, who grabbed both goals in the Silkmen's first-round win over Championship Hull City, put his side ahead again here but Tuncay Sanli and Martin Petrov scored in the second half to earn Bolton victory.

Meanwhile, Middlesbrough were comfortable winners over fellow Championship high-fliers Peterborough United 2-0.

Barry Robson's drive and Seb Hines' header put Middlesbrough two up before half-time and that was how it stayed.

Tuesday 23rd August


Norwich City suffered a stunning 4-0 home defeat at the hands of npower League 1 leaders MK Dons as the three newly-promoted Barclays Premier League clubs exited the Carling Cup at the second-round stage.

Paul Lambert's decision to change all 11 of his Norwich starting line-up backfired in spectacular fashion at Carrow Road.

Luke Chadwick and Sam Baldock had put the visitors in a commanding position at half-time.

Chadwick's second, on the hour mark, was the pick of the goals, capping a fine passing move, and Daniel Powell added to Norwich's woes seven minutes later with the fourth.

The Dons finished with 10 men as Angelo Balanta, a second-half substitute, limped off inside the last 10 minutes with all three changes already made.

Swansea City and Queens Park Rangers also tasted defeat with the Swans losing 3-1 at Shrewsbury Town while the R's lost 2-0 at home to Rochdale.

Swansea had led 10 minutes in through an unfortunate own goal from Shane Cansdell-Sherriff, but Marvin Morgan, hero of the Shrews' victory over Derby County in the first round, levelled midway through the first half as he turned home Lionel Ainsworth's cross-shot.

Mark Wright struck in the 67th minute, finishing after great work from Terry Gornell, and Nicky Wroe capped it at the death.

Rochdale's Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro slipped home a rebound after five minutes at Loftus Road and Gary Jones made it 2-0 with nine minutes to go with a superb shot into the top left-hand corner.


Aston Villa struggled for 80 minutes against Hereford but Eric Lichaj eventually turned in a scrappy goal and Nathan Delfouneso added a second two minutes from time to make sure.

West Bromich Albion had an easier time in dispatching Bournemouth 4-1 at Dean Court.

Jerome Thomas scored an early goal for the Baggies and Marc-Antoine Fortune had doubled the advantage by half-time.

Steve Lovell turned in Scott Malone's cross to get Bournemouth back in it early in the second half, but Simon Cox soon replied for West Brom and Fortune's 78th-minute strike settled it.

Wolverhampton Wanderers cruised to a 4-0 win over Northampton Town with Nenad Milijas and Sam Vokes adding to a brace from Sylvan Ebanks-Blake.

Sven-Goran Eriksson's Leicester City had to come from behind to see off Bury 4-2 at Gigg Lane.

Jeffery Schlupp's superb opener put the Foxes in front, but Bury stunned the visitors as Andrai Jones and Ryan Lowe scored either side of half-time to turn it around. But Paul Gallagher levelled it with a free-kick before Lloyd Dyer put Leicester in front and Neil Danns made sure late on.

Ramon Nunez scored a brace - the second a fine strike to break a 1-1 tie with seven minutes to go - as Leeds United beat Yorkshire rivals Doncaster Rovers 2-1 at the Keepmoat Stadium. Nunez's first came after half an hour to cancel out James Hayter's early opener.

Nottingham Forest cruised to a 4-1 win at Wycombe on the back of goals in the first six minutes from Ishmael Miller and Lewis McGugan. Robbie Findley and Radoslaw Majewski also scored either side of an Elliott Benyon penalty for the hosts.

Millwall topped Morecambe 2-0 with goals from Hamer Bouazza and Tamika Mkandawire.


In rearranged first-round fixtures, Wilfried Zaha's brace took Crystal Palace past Crawley Town 2-0 while Charlton Athletic saw off Reading 2-1 with goals from Paul Benson and Jason Euell.

Sunderland became the fourth Premier League side to crash out as they lost 1-0 to Brighton & Hove Albion in extra-time on the South Coast, with Craig Mackail-Smith heading in the winner in the 96th minute.

Cardiff City saw off Huddersfield Town in a 5-3 thriller in south Wales, eventually settled by extra-time goals from Craig Conway and Don Cowie.

Huddersfield had fought back from 2-0 down and looked like winning it when Jordan Rhodes scored two minutes from the end of normal time, only for Cowie to level in the 90th minute.

Burnley eventually saw off Barnet 3-2 thanks to Chris McCann's 105th-minute goal. The Bees had forced extra time when Ricky Holmes' 90th-minute goal made it 2-2.

In their rearranged first-round tie, Bristol Rovers beat Watford 4-2 on penalties. Mustapha Carayol scored the winning kick after Carl Dickinson and John Eustace missed for the visitors.

The match had finished 1-1 after extra-time, with both goals coming in the opening five minutes as Marvin Sordell scored for Watford two minutes in before Matt Harrold's quick reply for the hosts.