Wednesday 26th October


Roberto Mancini changed his entire team for the Carling Cup fourth round trip to Molineux but Manchester City ran riot again to heap more woe upon Wolverhampton Wanderers boss Mick McCarthy.

Fresh from their derby demolition of city rivals United at Old Trafford, Mancini's second string shrugged off an 18th minute opener from Nenad Milijas and eased to a 5-2 victory.

Three goals in as many first half minutes turned the screw with Adam Johnson, Samir Nasri and Edin Dzeko all firing home towards the end of the half to give City a comfortable advantage.

City had six in sight again when Wolves goalkeeper Dorus de Vries unfortunately got in the way of a David Edwards clearance to score an own goal five minutes into the second half, then Dzeko grabbed his second with half an hour still to play when he knocked home a Luca Scapuzzi cross.

But instead McCarthy's men stemmed the rout with Jamie O'Hara poking home a consolation with his first touch and playing down the clock as both sides set their sights to more important matters.


Uruguayan striker Luis Suarez scored twice in the second half as Liverpool came from behind to overcome Stoke 2-1 in a tight clash at the Britannia Stadium.

Kenwyne Jones had swept Tony Pulis's side into the lead one minute before the break when Jonathan Walters dispossessed Sebastian Coates and crossed for the striker to head home.

Suarez hit a delightful 54th minute equaliser after nutmegging Ryan Shotton and firing home, then headed the winner five minutes from time after an excellent cross from Jordan Henderson.


Daniel Sturridge scored the winner in the second period of extra-time as much-changed Chelsea nudged past Everton 2-1 in a match both teams finished with 10 men.

Chelsea goalkeeper Ross Turnbull was dismissed for a second half foul on Louis Saha and the home side's Royston Drenthe also saw red late in extra-time for a late challenge on Florent Malouda.

With John Terry among those rested and only David Luiz keeping his place from the side beaten at QPR, the visitors missed the chance to take a 16th minute lead when Nicolas Anelka blazed a penalty wide.

Salomon Kalou finally put Chelsea ahead in the 38th minute after an error by home goalkeeper Jan Mucha, then Everton missed their chance to equalise when Leighton Baines had his spot-kick saved by Turnbull's replacement Petr Cech.

Everton finally equalised through Louis Saha's 83rd minute header and missed a golden chance to win it in injury time when Denis Straqualursi headed wide.

Sturridge prodded the winner in the 116th minute after Anelka had hit the post.

Gael Givet lashed the winner in the final minute of extra-time as Blackburn Rovers claimed a tumultuous 4-3 win over Newcastle United to ease a little of the pressure on their under-fire boss Steve Kean.

Rovers appeared to be coasting to victory after Ruben Rochina's early opener and a Yakubu penalty, but the Magpies forced the extra half-hour when both Danny Guthrie and Yohane Cabaye thundered home strikes in injury time.

Morten Gamst Pedersen's deflected free-kick nudged Blackburn back ahead but it was soon cancelled out by a Peter Lovenkrands penalty. Givet's dramatic winner ensured there was no need for any more spot-kicks.

Tuesday 25th October


Manchester United produced a professional response to Sunday's local derby humiliation by seeing off Aldershot Town 3-0 in Tuesday night's Carling Cup Round Four clash.

Dimitar Berbatov and Michael Owen gave them a comfortable half-time lead as they looked to regroup following the 6-1 defeat to neighbours Manchester City at the weekend.

The npower League 2 hosts had chances of their own but it was ultimately fruitless as United added a third through Antonio Valencia in the second half.


Arsenal showed fighting spirit to come from behind and beat Bolton Wanderers 2-1 at the Emirates Stadium.

Owen Coyle's Trotters had led through former Gunner Fabrice Muamba early in the second half but Andrey Arshavin levelled and Park Ju-young completed the turnaround with the winner.


Joe Mason's 40th minute strike earned Cardiff City a 1-0 win at home to their fellow npower Championship side Burnley.

The night's other match saw Crystal Palace beat Southampton 2-0 at Selhurst Park.

The game was headed for extra-time until Darren Ambrose (73) edged the Eagles in front and Jermaine Easter's 82nd minute penalty edged them further ahead.