Wednesday 30th November


Glenn Murray headed the winner in extra time as npower Championship side Crystal Palace stunned Manchester United 2-1 in the Carling Cup quarter-finals.

Murray nodded in a free-kick from Darren Ambrose, the scorer of the opening goal, as Palace overturned the odds against a much-changed United team at Old Trafford.

Ambrose had ended shot-shy Palace's long goal drought with a stunning goal after 65 minutes but United forced extra time with a Federico Macheda penalty.

Wilfried Zaha was a recurrent danger and after blasting over he appealed for a penalty when he ran at Fabio and went down on the edge of the area - but referee Chris Foy saw nothing untoward.

United began to settle and established a measure of control but Palace had another chance when Sean Scannell snatched the ball from Antonio Valencia and Kagisho Dikgacoi dragged a shot wide.

The hosts had their best chance of the first half when Valencia crossed from the right and Mame Biram Diouf volleyed over with an overhead kick.

United almost took the lead soon after the restart as Valencia robbed Anthony Gardner and hit a low shot past Lewis Price but it rolled narrowly wide. Valencia claimed the goalkeeper had got a fingertip to the ball but a goal-kick was given.

Price saved from Ravel Morrison - but just as it seemed United were taking charge Palace took the lead with a stunning goal against the run of play. There seemed little danger as Ambrose received the ball from Zaha but he launched a vicious shot from 35 yards which curled into the top corner.

It was a brilliant way to end a goal famine which had lasted 550 minutes but the London side's lead was wiped out just four minutes later - Macheda netting from the spot after his shirt was grabbed by Patrick McCarthy to take the game into extra-time.

Yet Palace proved again that they were made of stern stuff as they reclaimed the lead in the 98th minute. Ambrose clipped in a free-kick from the left and Murray shook off Jonny Evans to head home from close range.

Tuesday 29th November


Andre Villas-Boas saw his brief Chelsea revival brought to a swift end as second-half goals from Maxi Rodriguez and Martin Kelly gave Liverpool a 2-0 Carling Cup quarter-final victory.

Liverpool's second win at Stamford Bridge in 10 days could have been greater if Andy Carroll had not missed a first-half penalty, awarded after Alex was penalised for handling a Jose Enrique cross.

Craig Bellamy started for the visitors after missing Sunday's draw with Manchester City on compassionate grounds following the death of Gary Speed, and was visibly upset during the pre-match minute's silence.

But it was Bellamy who inspired Liverpool's win, providing the cross from which Maxi opened the scoring on 58 minutes, and the free-kick which allowed Kelly to head home five minutes later.


The pressure also increased on Blackburn Rovers boss Steve Kean after his rock-bottom Barclays Premier League side suffered a 2-0 defeat at npower Championship promotion contenders Cardiff City

Kenny Miller struck the opener in the 19th minute when he shot under Rovers keeper Mark Bunn, and Cardiff increased their lead five minutes into the second half when Anthony Gerrard headed home a Peter Whittingham corner.


There is no such pressure on Manchester City boss Roberto Mancini after he watched Sergio Aguero fire home an 83rd minute winner at Arsenal to ease the Premier League leaders into the semi-finals.

Aguero, on as a 32nd minute substitute for Aleksandar Kolarov, finished off a fantastic attacking move in which Edin Dzeko found Adam Johnson who in turn laid off the ball for the Argentinian.

A youthful Gunners line-up had come close to grabbing a 27th minute lead when the impressive Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain saw a rising goal-bound shot brilliantly saved by City keeper Costel Pantilimon.