Watford manager Gianfranco Zola was left baffled by the decision to send off striker Matej Vydra as his side fell to a 2-1 defeat at home to Middlesbrough.

The Hornets had a player dismissed for the second match running after Fernando Forestieri was given a second yellow card at the end of the first half of Tuesday night's win at Charlton. Vydra saw red two minutes before half-time when referee Steve Rushton adjudged the striker had stamped on Nicky Bailey.

Zola, who confirmed the club will appeal the decision, said: "I understand the referee can see something but a good indication for the referee is the reaction of the players. No one in there did anything. It was just that the man (Bailey) was in front of him, he (Vydra) tried to jump over him and then he touched but you will see."

By that stage, Marvin Emnes had cancelled out Troy Deeney's opener after just 28 seconds to pull Boro level, and the visitors went on to take the points through Scott McDonald's second-half strike.

Zola added: "Unfortunately in four days we had two games in which in both games we end up with 10 players, and I don't think we deserve that and especially because my team was playing very good football and created a lot of chances.

"We allowed them to come back for a while because Middlesbrough is a good team and they scored, but we thought we still had the game in control. After that episode it was another story."

Boro manager Tony Mowbray was in agreement with his opposite number over the sending off and said: "If you're sitting where I'm sitting with the sun as low as it was, I don't want to give you a Mr Wenger moment but it literally is 70 yards away.

"I didn't even see a tackle, let alone a sending off, and I think everyone in the stadium is flabbergasted. I was asking the fourth official and he said the referee said there was intent with six studs showing.

"It was obviously harsh for them. They started the game extremely well with their shape 3-5-2, I thought we were getting to grips with the game.

"The sending off obviously helped us and allowed us to have the ball. We still found it difficult to break them down but eventually got the second goal and saw the game out."