Managerless Barnsley climbed off the bottom of the npower Championship with a 2-0 win at home to Leeds United.

Tykes caretaker boss David Flitcroft, in charge for his third game following the recent sacking of Keith Hill, had Chris Dagnall to thank for the three points with a timely brace.

Dagnall opened the scoring from the penalty spot on 63 minutes after being brought down by Sam Byram and sealed the win with his second just three minutes later.

That lifted Barnsley above Bristol City, thrashed 4-0 at home by Leicester City who climbed to third in the table as a result. Chris Wood scored a 30-minute hat-trick in the first half and Matty James (49) completed the rout for the Foxes.

Crystal Palace slipped to fourth after going down 1-0 at Burnley, with Junior Stanislas (81) scoring the only goal, while Middlesbrough dropped to fifth after a rare home defeat. Tony Mowbray's side went down 2-1 to Watford, for whom Matej Vydra scored twice (45 and 83). Scott McDonald scored a last-gasp consolation for Boro.

League leaders Cardiff City were held to a 0-0 draw at home by Ipswich Towm. Elsewhere, it was a tale of two penalties at the Reebok Stadium as Bolton Wanderers and Millwall drew 1-1. Andy Keogh gave the visitors a ninth-minute lead from the spot, but Keith Andrews equalised 10 minutes before half-time.

Brighton and Hove Albion are up to eighth after a 2-1 home win over Derby County, with Ashley Barnes scoring after just two minutes and Andrea Orlandi (25) doubling the lead before Jeff Hendrick (70) pulled one back in the second half.

Alex McLeish claimed his first win as Nottingham Forest manager with a 2-1 victory over Peterborough United. Greg Halford (28) headed the home side in front, but Scott Wootton levelled things up before Elliott Ward powered home from a corner with seven minutes left to hand Forest victory.

Charlton Athletic moved up to 14th, and above their opponents, with a 2-1 win over managerless Blackpool at The Valley. Johnnie Jackson (23) and Scott Wagstaff (45) put the home side in command, while substitute Nathan Eccleston scored a last-minute consolation for Blackpool.

Huddersfield Town and Birmingham City fought out a dramatic 1-1 draw at the John Smith's Stadium. Birmingham boss Lee Clark looked like having the last laugh on his return to his former club thanks to Callum Reilly (45), but Adam Hammill snatched an equaliser in the third minute of injury time in the second period.