Wigan chairman Dave Whelan has promised Owen Coyle any cash generated by player sales this summer will be ploughed straight back into the Latics' promotion drive.
Coyle was unveiled as Roberto Martinez's successor as manager on Monday, with the Scot immediately confirming he does not need to sell star men Callum McManaman, Shaun Maloney, James McCarthy and Arouna Kone. Yet that might not prevent the quartet leaving anyway, with Kone set to be the first out given his £6.5million buy-out clause.
Whelan said: "We don't go into football to lose money, We were one of the few clubs to make a profit last year and we stay within the limits of what we can and cannot do. But I have promised Owen every transfer fee will go straight back out for spending out on the football field."
He added: "That is what we believe in. The intention is to get back in the Premier League. It may take two years. It may take three. It might take longer."
With the parachute payment handing Wigan a sizeable advantage, the next 12 months provide the best chance of an immediate return, and the Latics will discover their first opponents of the season on Wednesday morning, when the fixtures are released.
It was something not lost on Bolton, who cut Coyle adrift after a poor start to their attempt to bounce back at the first attempt, although the Scot feels Wigan are better placed.
"When Bolton lost their place there was a negativity that spilled into the following season," said Coyle.
"You have to accept you are not in the Premier League anymore.
"It is a tough gig."
Wigan have already lost Maynor Figueroa to Hull, whilst the contracts of Antolin Alcaraz and Franco di Santo have expired. Loanees Joel Robles and Paul Scharner will not be returning either.