Wigan chief executive Jonathan Jackson has acknowledged the Latics' best chance of getting back into the Barclays Premier League is to do it at the first attempt.

A change of manager, the loss of half a dozen out-of-contract members of the first-team squad, plus Arouna Kone's exit always meant the bedding-in process for Owen Coyle is not going to be easy.

"This year gives us our best opportunity to get back into the Premier League," Jackson said. "Financially we have an advantage over the other clubs because it is a significant amount of money. We want to get back first time for a number of reasons. But financially it makes sense."

New boss Coyle certainly got to work last week, bolstering his resources with six signings before Grant Holt's arrival from Norwich on Tuesday.

More than anyone else, it is Holt's arrival that underlines the deep desire of Wigan to reclaim their top-flight status given the forward was being spoken of as an England candidate a couple of years ago.

In fact, Wigan look to be in a healthier state to survive the shock of their loss of status than many who have gone before.

Last year they made a healthy £4.3million profit and, while that figure is bound to be hit hard by the fall into the Championship after eight years in the top division, Wigan did insure themselves against the worst eventuality.

"Relegation can happen and any club in the lower reaches of the Premier League would ensure there is a cost adjustment if it does," Jackson said.

"I am not going to go into details but we are run sensibly so players had relegation clauses in their contracts.

"Three clubs go down every year and unfortunately last season one of them was us. The cost adjustments ensure you don't have any crisis and it is not a catastrophe."