Sunday 25th August

A late goal from substitute Jordi Gomez rescued Wigan Athletic a point from a 2-2 draw with Middlesbrough.

The home side had led through Grant Holt's early penalty, but found themselves trailing when George Friend equalised before half-time, with Grant Leadbitter putting the Teessiders ahead inside the final quarter.

Gomez, though, ensured a share of the spoils when he drilled home a brilliant free-kick five minutes from time.

Earlier in the day, Lewis McGugan's stunning free-kick for Watford ended Nottingham Forest's 100 per cent record but could not prevent his old club returning to the top of the Sky Bet Championship, as the game ended 1-1.

Billy Davies' side arrived at Watford on the back of three wins and three clean sheets and took an early lead through Andy Reid. But if anyone was going to be the first player to score against Forest this season then McGugan was that man. He hit 44 goals - many of them spectacular - during seven years in Nottingham before a summer move to Watford.

A point was enough to send Forest back to the summit but they almost stole all three at the death when sub Ishmael Miller broke clear only to curl his effort against the post.

Saturday 24th August

Blackpool, Leicester City and Queens Park Rangers share the lead at the top of the Sky Bet Championship on 10 points after all three claimed victories.

A 75th-minute strike from substitute Tom Barkhuizen earned Blackpool a 1-0 home win over relegated Reading, who suffered their first loss since returning to the division.

QPR, who came down alongside Reading, were 1-0 victors in the day's early game at Bolton Wanderers thanks to a 54th-minute goal from striker Andrew Johnson.

Leicester also picked up a third win from four games but needed to come from a goal down before beating Birmingham City 3-2 at the King Power Stadium.

The visitors took a 12th-minute lead through Matt Green but Nigel Pearson's men hit back with three goals in the final 12 minutes from Jamie Vardy, Andy King and David Nugent (penalty) to clinch the points before Birmingham struck again late on through Chris Burke.

The three leaders are a point clear of Nottingham Forest, who will look to continue the division's only 100 per cent record when they go to Watford on Sunday.

Leeds United are on eight points after they too recovered from an early deficit to defeat Ipswich Town 2-1, goals from Luke Varney (28) and Ross McCormack (49) cancelling out David McGoldrick's 12th-minute opener for the hosts.

Summer signing James Vaughan scored a hat-trick as Huddersfield Town cruised to a 5-1 home win over promoted Bournemouth.

The Everton product netted in the 27th, 42nd and 58th minutes with Adam Hammill (14) and Adam Clayton (78) also on the scoresheet as Huddersfield's upward progress continued. Bournemouth's sole response was from Marc Pugh in the 68th minute.

Barnsley scored first and last at Blackburn Rovers as they sought their first win of the season but ended up on the wrong end of a 5-2 scoreline.

Chris Dagnall put the visitors ahead in the 13th minute but they were reduced to 10 men in the 16th minute when Jean Yves Mvoto was sent off, and Blackburn took ruthless advantage.

Rovers scored through efforts from Tom Cairney (17), Jordan Rhodes (30 and 39) - his first goals of the season - Joshua King (43) and Todd Kane (58) before shellshocked Barnsley netted a second-half consolation through Tomasz Cywka (72).

Rock-bottom Barnsley remain on one point, the same as Millwall and Charlton Athletic.

Millwall picked up their first point after Andy Keogh's late penalty earned them a 2-2 draw at Sheffield Wednesday.

Millwall, who lined up in Wednesday's yellow away strip from last season in the first half after forgetting their kit, took a fifth-minute lead through Kamil Zayatte's own goal but they trailed at the break following goals from Helan and Reda Johnson.

Millwall, back in their regulation kit for the second half, refused to give in and Keogh's 86th-minute spot-kick earned them a draw.

Charlton, meanwhile, were trailing 3-1 at home to 10-man Doncaster Rovers at The Valley when the match was abandoned at half-time as heavy rain in South East London left the pitch unplayable.

A Chris Brown double and one from Paul Keegan, who was dismissed for two yellow card offences just prior to the interval, put Doncaster 3-0 ahead after just 23 minutes before Charlton - following a delay of half an hour as the ground staff attempted to clear the surface water - pulled a goal back through Wales striker Simon Church

Championship novices Yeovil Town's struggles continued as they suffered their third successive loss as goals from Johnny Russell (42), Craig Bryson (45) and Chris Martin (58) earned Derby County a 3-0 win at Huish Park.

Brighton and Hove Albion made it back-to-back wins with a 2-0 victory over 10-man Burnley, goals from Andrew Crofts (28) and Leonardo Ulloa (72) sandwiching the dismissal of visiting keeper Tom Heaton (58) for two bookable offences.