Queens Park Rangers stayed three points clear at the top of the Sky Bet Championship after a 2-0 home win over Middlesbrough.

Joey Barton's fourth-minute goal set Harry Redknapp's men on their way towards a seventh league win, which never looked threatened once Charlie Austin converted from the penalty spot following a handball by Ben Gibson 11 minutes before the break.

Burnley are second, ahead of Leicester City on goal difference, after they beat an out-of-form Charlton Athletic side 3-0 at Turf Moor.

Danny Ings put the home side ahead before half-time, with Sam Vokes wrapping up a comfortable victory with two goals in the second half.

Leicester recorded a 2-1 home win over bottom of the table Barnsley with a second-half brace from David Nugent.

Jason Scotland gave the Tykes hope with a 73rd minute reply but Leicester held on.

A late goal from Cristian Battocchio gave Watford a 1-0 win over Wigan Athletic at Vicarage Road to keep the Hornets in the Play-Off shake-up.

In the lunchtime kick-off, Nottingham Forest won bragging rights in the East Midlands with a 1-0 home win against Derby County with a first-half goal from Jack Hobbs - his first for the Reds since signing on loan from Hull City.

Darius Henderson saw his penalty after 79 minutes saved by Lee Grant.

Reading are also in the top six after they beat Birmingham City 2-0 at the Madjeski Stadium, with a goal in each half from midfielder Danny Guthrie.

At the other end of the table, Bolton Wanderers secured a 1-1 draw with fellow strugglers Yeovil Town thanks to a stoppage-time goal from Alex Baptiste after Edward Upson's late strike had looked to be taking all three points back to the West Country.

Sheffield Wednesday are in the bottom three after they were beaten 1-0 at home by Yorkshire rivals Doncaster Rovers following a second-half header from on-loan Manchester United forward Federico Macheda in the 71st minute.

Elsewhere, Blackburn Rovers won 3-1 at Bournemouth with a first-half brace from Jordan Rhodes and a 21st-minute Leon Best strike.

The Cherries had substitute Richard Hughes sent off for two cautions but rallied to score a consolation through Ryan Fraser.

Ipswich Town moved into the top 10 as they beat Brighton and Hove Albion 2-0 with a first-half double from David McGoldrick, scoring in the 21st and 24th minutes, at Portman Road.

It was also 2-0 at The Den, where Millwall saw off Leeds United. Martyn Woolford and Scott Malone scored for the Lions in the second half.