Saturday 5th October

Burnley retained their place at the top of the Sky Bet Championship with a 2-1 win over Reading at Turf Moor.

Clarets striker Danny Ings scored his 11th goal of the season in all competitions in the 21st minute, firing in from Kieran Trippier's pass.

The hosts extended their advantage with 10 minutes left to play through Sam Vokes, and while Jason Shackell's own-goal two minutes later made for a nervy finale, the home side managed to hold on.

Second-placed Queens Park Rangers remain level on points with the leaders following their 2-0 win over rock-bottom Barnsley at Loftus Road.

Former Burnley man Charlie Austin netted both goals, his first strike coming in the 66th minute and his second, a penalty, three minutes from time.

Third-placed Leicester City lost ground on the top two, having been beaten 1-0 at Doncaster Rovers.

An early own-goal from Foxes goalkeeper Kasper Schmeichel proved decisive, leaving them three points off the top.

Watford surged into the Play-Off places after winning 2-1 at Huddersfield Town, the away side coming from behind with goals from Fernando Forestieri and Daniel Pudil following Daniel Ward's opener.

Bolton Wanderers moved out of the relegation zone after securing a 2-1 victory at Birmingham City in the day's early kick-off - their first league win of the season.

Jermaine Beckford and Neil Danns scored for the visitors before Nikola Zigic's reply.

That sent Sheffield Wednesday into the bottom three and the Owls, still looking for their maiden victory of the campaign, stayed there after drawing 1-1 at home with Ipswich Town, falling behind early on to a Paul Anderson goal but swiftly responded through Michail Antonio's leveller.

The other side in the relegation zone is Yeovil Town, who were thumped 4-1 at Middlesbrough.

The visitors led through an early Liam Davis goal, but Grant Leadbitter soon equalised and when his penalty was saved, Albert Adomah stabbed home. Jacob Butterfield and Kei Kamara added goals after the break.

Elsewhere, Blackpool drew 0-0 at Charlton Athletic, while Derby County started life under Steve McClaren by beat Leeds United 3-1 at home.

The Rams went 2-0 up through Chris Martin and Johnny Russell, and after Jason Pearce pulled a goal back, Will Hughes wrapped up the victory.

The other 3:00pm kick-off saw Bournemouth stage an impressive comeback at home against Millwall, running out 5-2 winners.

The Lions had a two-goal advantage inside the opening 10 minutes through Martyn Waghorn and Liam Trotter, but Ryan Fraser made it 2-1 just before half-time and five minutes after the break, Steve Cook drew things level with a header.

That was the first of three goals in nine minutes as Harry Arter put Bournemouth in front and Lewis Grabban then converted a penalty - awarded for a handball by Alan Dunne, who was sent off - before Brett Pitman tucked away another spot-kick in stoppage time.

Sunday 6th October

Emmerson Boyce netted a late winner as Wigan Athletic overcame Blackburn Rovers 2-1 on Sunday.

Ten-man Blackburn, hoping for a third successive league win for the first time since 2007, went ahead through Tommy Spurr only to lose the momentum when captain-for-the-day Grant Hanley was dismissed for catching Nick Powell's face after half an hour.

Returning substitute Grant Holt made a crucial contribution in the leveller, helping to bundle home, although the final touch came off Spurr for a likely own-goal.

And Latics, who had hosted their first-ever European game on Thursday and seen the town's rugby league team complete a Super League Grand Final and Challenge Cup final double on Saturday, claimed all three points with Boyce's late header.