Friday 18th April

Uwe Rosler's Wigan Athletic shrugged off last week's FA Cup semi-final disappointment and moved closer to confirming their place in the Sky Bet Championship Play-Offs with a 3-0 win over Reading.

Jordi Gomez - whose spot-kick had given the Latics a shock lead against Arsenal at Wembley last week - lashed home a superb opener on the half-hour as his side cruised to victory over Neil Adkins' out-of-sorts Royals.

Martyn Waghorn added a second for the home side before half-time and Callum McManaman's strike six minutes after the break effectively sealed a win which strengthened Wigan's Play-Off claims and sent their opponents tumbling out of the top six.

Brighton & Hove Albionn left it late to edge back above the Royals as Bruno Saltor scored his first goal of the season to salvage a vital point in a 1-1 draw at Huddersfield Town.

The Terriers, who are still not entirely certain of safety, grabbed a sixth-minute lead through an Oliver Norwood free-kick and Norwood almost made it two early in the second half only to be denied by a brilliant Tomasz Kuszczak save.

But Brighton were rewarded for their fighting spirit when Saltor grabbed a rare goal with seven minutes remaining.

Bournemouth's hopes of moving further into Play-Off contention suffered a shattering blow as they crashed 4-2 at home to 10-man Sheffield Wednesday.

Atdhe Nuhiu put Wednesday in front on 16 minutes and although Marc Pugh levelled matters for the home side on the half-hour, Sam Hutchinson restored the Owls' lead before the break.

Yann Kermorgant headed home an Iain Harte corner on 57 minutes to make it 2-2 and the game seemed to swing in the Cherries' favour when Hutchinson was sent off on 63 minutes for a second bookable offence.

But as the home side poured forward in search of a winner they were twice caught on the break, first Leon Best slamming home the rebound after Mihail Antonio's 86th minute strike had hit the bar, then Best blazing back over the halfway line to set up Chris Maguire to make it 4-2 in injury time.

Blackburn Rovers' unlikely top six prospects also faded despite extending their unbeaten run of nine games with a goalless draw at home to rock-bottom Yeovil Town.

Jason Lowe hit the post early for the home side but Rovers could not make the crucial breakthrough while the point leaves Yeovil rooted to the foot of the table with time running out.

There was similar frustration at Charlton Athletic who missed the chance to put breathing space between themselves and the bottom three as they were held to a goalless draw at home to Bolton Wanderers. Visiting defender Matt Mills had the best chance of the game when his early effort was headed off the line.

In the late kick-off on Good Friday, Derby County ensured Burnley's promotion party was put on hold as they edged relegation-threatened Doncaster Rovers 2-0 at the Keepmoat Stadium.

Anything but a Derby win would have sent the Clarets back to the Premier League, following their 1-0 win at Blackpool earlier on Good Friday, but goals from George Thorne and Chris Martin in each half prevented that.

Thorne's 25-yarder at the end of the first half was barely deserved, but Derby were stronger after the break before Martin diverted in his 19th league goal of the season 11 minutes from the end.

Victory means the Rams, who were already assured of a Play-Off place before kick-off, kept their slim automatic promotion hopes alive with an eight-point gap behind Burnley with three games to go.

Saturday 19th April

David Nugent fired his 21st goal of the season as Leicester nudged closer to sealing the Sky Bet Championship title with a 1-0 win over 10-man Queen's Park Rangers at the King Power Stadium.

Nigel Pearson's Foxes restored their seven-point lead over second-placed Burnley and now need just three more points from their last three games to go into the Premier League as champions.

Nugent scored the only goal of the game with a superb finish from a narrow angle in the 67th minute, and 11 minutes later the visitors - still waiting to guarantee their play-off place - had Benoit Assou-Ekotto sent off for a second bookable offence.

Nottingham Forest nudged back into play-off contention as they ended their dismal run of 12 league games without a win with a tight 1-0 triumph over relegation-threatened Birmingham at the City Ground.

Matt Derbyshire struck the only goal of the game in the second minute to move Forest within three points of sixth-placed Brighton - whom they will face on the final day of the season.

But Mick McCarthy's Ipswich blew their chance to move into the top six as their run of two straight victories ended in a 3-1 defeat to Watford at Vicarage Road.

Albert Rieira struck the opener for the home side after 21 minutes and although Anthony Wordsworth equalised five minutes after the break it was Watford who always looked more likely to take the points.

Gabriele Angella headed home a free-kick in the 63rd minute to put the home side back in front and Lewis McGugan sealed the points two minutes later.

Stefan Maierhofer scored twice as Millwall surged out of the relegation zone with a potentially crucial 2-1 win at Middlesbrough.

The Austrian defender, who had never previously found the net for the Lions, gave the visitors a dream start when he turned in Lee Martin's cross on 16 minutes.

And Maierhofer produced a near-carbon copy from another Martin cross on the half-hour to double Millwall's lead, before Emmanuel Ledesma's effort 10 minutes from time led to some anxious late moments.

The win - Millwall's third in a row away from home - lifted Ian Holloway's side above Charlton and Blackpool with three games of the season still to play.

But there was gloom for fellow strugglers Barnsley who remain rooted in the bottom three after a 1-0 home defeat to Yorkshire rivals Leeds.

Ross McCormack's 29th goal of the season in the 16th minute proved enough to earn a second straight win for Brian McDermott's men and leave the sinking Tykes three points off safety.