Monday 21st April

Burnley sealed automatic promotion to the Barclays Premier League as two first-half goals ensured a 2-0 win over Wigan Athletic and sparked mass celebrations at Turf Moor.

Ashley Barnes opened the scoring for Sean Dyche's side in the 22nd minute before Michael Kightly doubled the advantage shortly before half-time with a well-taken free-kick.

The Clarets are now eight points clear of third-placed Derby County with two games to play, meaning they go up automatically for the first time since 1973 and return to the top flight after being relegated in 2010.

Derby did their best to delay Burnley's celebrations as they beat Barnsley 2-1 at home to strengthen their hold on third place.

Jeff Hendrick and Johnny Russell put the Rams two up at half-time before Nick Proschwitz gave Barnsley hope with 10 minutes to play.

Russell spurned the chance to steady the hosts' nerves when he missed a penalty late on, but it made no difference as Derby held on for the win which leaves Barnsley four points adrift of safety.

Queens Park Rangers scored two late goals to snatch a 2-1 victory over Watford and confirm their place in the Championship Play-Offs.

Mathias Ranegie had put the visitors in front early in the second half, but Joey Barton equalised 14 minutes from the end and Charlie Austin completed the comeback with a last-minute winner.

Rangers stay fourth in the table while Watford's lingering hopes of a late push for the top six look to be over.

Two goals in four minutes saw sixth-placed Brighton and Hove Albion held to a disappointing 1-1 draw at home to struggling Blackpool.

The hosts broke the deadlock shortly after half-time thanks to Dale Stephens' curling finish, but the lead was short-lived as Stephen Dobbie pulled Blackpool level.

Ipswich Town and Bournemouth are both still in the hunt for a place in the top six but the two sides had to settle for a share of the spoils in a 2-2 draw at Portman Road.

The home side led twice through Paul Anderson and later Paul Green but Steve Cook and Matt Ritchie earned a point for Bournemouth, who are now two points behind their opponents and three short of the Play-Offs.

A Marvin Sordell hat-trick saw Charlton Athletic come back from 2-0 down to beat Sheffield Wednesday 3-2 and gain a vital three points in the battle for survival.

Atdhe Nuhiu and Chris Maguire put the home side in command early on but Sordell's treble means Charlton are now two points clear of the bottom three with a game in hand.

Huddersfield Town are mathematically safe after securing a 2-1 win at Yeovil Town, who are now all-but certain to be relegated.

Nakhi Wells put the visitors ahead in the 69th minute before Tom Lawrence equalised for the Glovers, but Adam Clayton's winner in the seventh minute of injury time gave all three points to Huddersfield.

Yeovil are six points adrift of safety with two games to play and have a significantly inferior goal difference than 21st-placed Birmingham City.

Birmingham are still in trouble, however, after Rudy Gestede's hat-trick helped Blackburn Rovers to a 4-2 win at St. Andrew's.

Rovers took a 4-0 lead into half-time with Todd Kane also on target for the visitors before Nikola Zigic and Demarai Gray scored consolations for Birmingham, who are only above the relegation zone on goal difference.

Millwall and Doncaster Rovers played out a 0-0 draw at the Den, a result that does little for either side's hopes of pulling clear from the relegation places.