Yorkie the Lion is bellowing with pride after clinching the coveted first place in the Football League Mascot Race on Friday in support of Prostate Cancer UK.
The York City mascot triumphed at the half furlong (approx. 100m) dash held at Doncaster race course, which saw 26 mascots from 23 clubs across England take part. The challenge was part of Prostate Cancer UK's partnership with The Football League to raise awareness of prostate cancer - the most common cancer in men in the UK.
The competition was fearsome. Chasing Yorkie, in second place was Billy Brewer from Burton Albion, and Chaddy Owl from Oldham Athletic, who secured third place. The trio were presented with medals by Sukhi Dale, Corporate Partnerships Manager at Prostate Cancer UK.
To watch footage of the mascot race click here!
Sukhi said: "We would like to thank all the mascots who took part in today's race. Each and every one made a sterling effort to cross the line first and help raise awareness of a disease affecting 250,000 men in the UK, in one of the charity's more unconventional events this year.
"It's not every day you see dozens of dogs, rams and monkeys bounding along a race course, but everyone entered the dash in exactly the right spirit. A special well done has to go to Yorkie the Lion, though, who now has the prestigious mantle of being this year's Mascot Race winner."
John Nagle, Head of Communications at The Football League, said: "Many congratulations to Yorkie the Lion for taking the Mascot Race title, and well done to all the mascots that came along to support our partnership with Prostate Cancer UK.
"It was a fantastic occasion and will hopefully help to raise awareness of prostate cancer amongst football and racing fans alike."
The Mascot Race marks the beginning of a weekend of racing during which The Racing Post - which is also partnered with the charity - will dedicate The Prostate Cancer UK Charity Race in support of the charity on Saturday, and hold a 5k 'Do it for Dad' fun run on Sunday.
Prostate Cancer UK's partnership with The Football League will run throughout the 2012/13 season, with the aim of raising funds for and awareness of the disease amongst the football community and the wider public.
The full results of the race are as follows:
1. Yorkie the Lion - York City
2. Billy Brewer - Burton Albion
3. Chaddy Owl - Oldham Athletic
4. Mr Magpie - Notts County
5. Miller Bear - Rotherham United
6. Sky Blue Sam - Coventry City
7. Rammie - Derby County
8. Rover - Blackburn Rovers
9. Peter Burrow - Peterborough United
10. Ollie the Ox - Oxford United
11. Rover - Tranmere Rovers
12. Terry the Terrier - Huddersfield Town
13. Mrs Magpie - Notts County
14. Lofty Junior - Bolton Wanderers
15. Pete The Eagle - Crystal Palace
16. Donny Dog - Doncaster Rovers
17. H'Angus the Monkey - Hartlepool United
18. Filbert Fox - Leicester City
19. Robin Hood - Nottingham Forest
20. Olivia - Oxford United
21. City Gent - Bradford City
22. Kop Cat - Leeds United
23. Gully the Seagull - Brighton & Hove Albion
24. Donnie - Milton Keynes Dons
25. Mooie - Milton Keynes Dons
26. Captain Blade - Sheffield United
For all the latest news on Prostate Cancer UK, The Football League's Official Charity Partner for the 2012/13 season, please click here