Tuesday 14th December


It took a penalty shoot-out to separate League 1 sides Bristol Rovers and Exeter City at the Memorial Stadium in the first of two Southern Area semi-finals to be settled on Tuesday night. Paul Tisdale's side eventually ran out 5-4 victors after spot kicks, having levelled late on.

The teams shared four goals in normal time with an 89th minute equaliser from the Grecians Bristol-born midfielder Ryan Harley taking the game to penalties.

A 20th minute goal from Will Hoskins had given the home side the lead but Byron Anthony levelled in the 66th minute. 12 minutes from time Bristol Rovers re-established their lead when Ben Swallow struck but the Grecians again hit back - through Harley - with a minute to go.

Having shared four goals in normal time, there continued to be little to choose between them from the spot with the first eight kicks all converted. As the penalties continued to hit the back of the net the pressure began to mount and Artur Krysia became the hero for Exeter by saving Anthony's penalty.

It also took a penalty shoot-out to determine the winners in another all League 1 semi-final tie. Brentford and Charlton Athletic had been unable to make the breakthrough in normal time and the home side continued their impressive record from the spot to progress in a cup competition on penalties for the fourth time this season.

The Bees won 3-1 to knock London rivals out of the competition and set up an Area final against Exeter City.


In the Northern section Area semi-final, Huddersfield Town set up an Area final meeting with Carlisle United by beating Tranmere Rovers 2-0 at Prenton Park.

A goal in each half from Jordan Rhodes proved to be the difference between the two sides on the night as Lee Clark's side won for the fourth match in a row.

Former Ipswich Town trainee Rhodes opened the scoring after 18 minutes and then took his tally to 14 for the season with a second goal in the 68th minute.

Tuesday 30th November


Carlisle United have moved closer to a place in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy Final with a 3-1 home win over Sheffield Wednesday, in the Area semi-finals.

The game was the only one to beat the weather and the home side made sure all the groundsmans' hard work paid off.

The Cumbrians were ahead on the half hour mark, when Francois Zoko scored for the second game in succession.

Lubomir Michalik doubled the lead on 61 minutes before Ben Marshall added a third eight minutes later.

Wednesday did offer some resistance when Darren Purse scored his first goal of the season, but with just five minutes to go it all proved to be in vain.

Greg Abbotts' side will have to wait to find out their opponents, in the Area Final, after Tranmere Rovers' home match with Huddersfield Town was postponed and rearranged for next Tuesday.