Wednesday 5th October


Highly-rated youngster Max Clayton headed Crewe Alexandra to a 1-0 win over Macclesfield Town, which sees them also progress to the Area Quarter-Final.

Clayton, who was a target for Liverpool when still in the Alex's youth ranks, struck in the 75th minute to settle a hard-fought tie.

The teenager planted a diving header past goalkeeper Steve Collis from Byron Moore's cross to earn Crewe a place in Saturday's draw.


Brentford brushed aside npower League 1 leaders Charlton 3-0 at the Valley to secure a place in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy area quarter-final.

The Bees, who knocked the Addicks out of the competition last year, got off to a dream start by taking the lead inside two minutes.

David Clarkson's initial shot was parried by Addicks keeper John Sullivan but the loose ball fell to Blair Adams, who fired a low shot into an empty net.

The Bees doubled their advantage in the 24th minute when they were awarded a penalty following a clumsy challenge by Mikel Alonso on Toumani Diagouraga, with Kevin O'Connor stepping up to smash home the spot kick.

Adams came close seven minutes after the restart when he ran half the length of the pitch before unleashing a 25-yard shot which went just wide of the post.

But Brentford didn't have long to wait until their third of the evening arrived on the hour when Diagouraga shot past Sullivan from 10 yards.

Miguel Llera's free-kick was deflected behind off Michael Morrison and substitute Sam Wood shot into the side-netting as Brentford threatened to pull even further clear.

Tuesday 4th October


Striker Shefki Kuqi steered Oldham Athletic into the Area Quarter-Finals of the Johnstone's Paint Trophy with a hard-earned 1-0 victory at Scunthorpe United.

Kuqi struck the only goal of the game after 27 minutes, forcing home the rebound after a header from centre-back Nathan Clarke from a free-kick had come back off the bar.

Man of the match Jake Kean saved two spot kicks as Rochdale advanced after beating Walsall 3-1 on penalties after the scores were tied 1-1 after 90 minutes at Spotland.

The hosts proved superior from the spot, converting three kicks while the Saddlers Richard Taundry and Kevan Hurst saw their attempts saved and Ryan Jarvis blazed over the bar.

After a first half of limited chances, Rochdale took the lead four minutes after the interval when Jason Kennedy's effort was charged down and David Ball reacted quickly, miscuing a shot which flew into the top corner of the net.

Walsall levelled on 66 minutes. Kevan Hurst got ahead of his marker to meet David Martin's cross and sweep the ball home from eight yards.

Substitute Nialle Rodney struck the winning penalty as Bradford City beat local rivals Huddersfield Town 4-3 on spot-kicks to move into the third round in a game which ended 2-2 after normal time.

Antony Kay and Tommy Miller missed for Huddersfield in the shoot-out, with Lee Novack, Danny Ward and Alan Lee on target.

But after former Huddersfield man Michael Flynn fluffed City's first penalty, the visitors converted the rest to secure a second shoot-out win in the competition after they beat Sheffield Wednesday by the same method in the first round.

A clinical display saw 10-man Chesterfield embarrass defeat Notts County 3-1 to reach the quarter-finals.

County saw both their centre-halves injured after only 16 minutes, but just as the Spireites threatened to take control, they were rocked by the 22nd minute dismissal of Lee Johnson for a high challenge on Alan Judge.

County took the lead in the 43rd minute through Karl Hawley before Mark Randall equalised in the 64th minute. And just four minutes later, the visitors were ahead when Randall turned provider and Dean Morgan beat Stuart Nelson with a simple finish. Jordan Bowery then wrapped up the win with a predatory 77th minute strike. 

Preston North End made it through to the third round after a thrilling 7-6 penalty shoot-out win over Morecambe at the Globe Arena.

Morecambe trailed 2-0 at the break after a poor start to. The Shrimps went a goal down after just three minutes when Brian McLean headed a Paul Parry free-kick past Barry Roche from six yards and it was 2-0 in the 21st minute when Juhvel Tsoumou finished smartly past Roche.

The Shrimps pulled one back seven minutes from time after a mistake from Andreas Arestidou. Roche cleared long and Arestidou raced from his line to block. His first touch was a decent one but he was robbed by Phil Jevons who put the ball into the empty net.

Kevin Ellison made the Morecambe pressure pay with a goal two minutes into injury time when he hammered home the loose ball from Will Haining's cross.

Ched Evans scored a dramatic injury-time winner to give Sheffield United a 2-1 victory over South Yorkshire rivals Rotherham United and take the Blades through.


Jake Jervis emerged as the Swindon Town hero as the Robins reached the Area Quarter-Finals of the Johnstone's Paint Trophy with a 2-1 victory at Exeter.

The striker, who returned to the team after missing Friday's defeat at Macclesfield, opened the scoring after 18 minutes when he capitalised on some poor Exeter defending to lash home from 12-yards. Jervis then capitalised on a howler by Exeter goalkeeper Artur Krysiak to double Swindon's lead in the 35th minute.

Exeter City raised their game after the break and had numerous chances to force something from the game, but all they had to show for their efforts was a sublime chip from Daniel Nardiello 18 minutes from time.

Izale McLeod struck twice as Barnet battled back to beat Gillingham 3-1 in their second-round clash.

Garry Richards' early strike was cancelled out six minutes later by McLeod's penalty, and Mark Marshall scored with a rasping late drive before McLeod sealed it.

Substitute Darryl Duffy's double sent npower League 2 Cheltenham Town through as they recorded a 3-1 victory over Wycombe Wanderers.

Duffy, who replaced James Spencer on 36 minutes, fired an unstoppable 30-yard volley past Nikki Bull just 10 seconds after coming on before sealing the game 15 minutes from time.

Spencer's superb back-heel allowed captain Jeff Goulding in on 34 minutes, but he shot straight at Nikki Bull from just inside the box before Duffy's strike two minutes later.

Four minutes after half-time, Duffy's neat flick allowed Brian Smikle to cut in from the right and double Cheltenham's advantage.
Kevin Betsy gave the League 1 Chairboys hope just past the hour after 15-year-old Jordan Ibe picked him out from the byline but Duffy's fifth goal of the season sent the Robins into the last eight.

Ryan Hall fired Southend United into the quarter-finals with a goal in each half as they defeated Dagenham & Redbridge 3-1, while Oxford United duo Robert Hall and Deane Smalley notched two quickfire second-half goals to beat Aldershot Town 2-1.

Goalkeeper Jack Turner proved AFC Wimbledon's saviour as they recovered from blowing a late lead to defeat Stevenage 4-3 on penalties after the scores was drawn 2-2 after 90 minutes.

While Marc Pugh scored twice and set up a third goal as Bournemouth held off a determined second half comeback to beat Yeovil Town 3-2 at Dean Court and clinch a place in the last 16.