Matt Smith turned from hero to villain for Oldham Athletic as Chesterfield began the defence of the Johnstone's Paint Trophy with a 2-1 victory over the team they beat in last season's Northern Area Final.

Smith gave Oldham a first-half lead but scored an own goal in added time after Danny Whitaker had equalised and then seen a penalty saved by Dean Bouzanis.

Jennison Myrie-Williams netted a second-half double to send Port Vale into the second round with a comfortable 2-0 victory against disappointing Tranmere Rovers.

Coventry City's maiden foray in the competition ended with shootout success as they beat Burton Albion 10-9 on penalties following a 0-0 draw.

Brave York City withstood almost constant Rotherham United pressure to snatch a smash-and-grab 1-0 victory with a late winner from winger Matty Blair.

Notts County secured their first win in the competition for 11 years as striker Enoch Showunmi scored his first goal on his first start in a 2-1 victory over Scunthorpe United.

New-boy Bobby Grant scored his first goal since moving to Rochdale and then netted the crucial penalty in the shootout to send his side through 4-2 on penalties after a 2-2 draw against Fleetwood Town. James McGuire scored both goals for the Cod Army in normal time but missed his spot-kick.

Jack Redshaw and Kevin Ellison took Morecambe through to the second round with a 2-0 win over Lancashire rivals Accrington Stanley.

Preston North End beat Carlisle United 3-1 on penalties after the sides had fought out a 1-1 draw in normal time.


Portsmouth edged into the Johnstone's Paint Trophy second round after seeing off south-coast neighbours Bournemouth 4-3 on penalties at Fratton Park.

The tie finished 2-2 after 90 minutes but Brian Howard, Liam Walker, Ashley Harris and Luke Rodgers all converted penalties for Pompey, while Lee Barnard saw his effort saved by Mikkel Andersen and Marc Pugh blazed over to send the Cherries crashing out.

Jake Robinson's 11th-minute wonder goal was enough for Northampton Town to see off Milton Keynes Dons 1-0. Robinson hit a stunning volley from almost 40 yards out which to seal a home win for the Cobblers.

Ryan Cresswell's last-gasp header handed Southend United a 2-1 win over AFC Wimbledon at Roots Hall. Cresswell, who was pushed forward from defence for the closing stages, rose high to head a left-wing cross from Neil Harris into the bottom corner and hand the Shrimpers a deserved win.

Southend, who hit the woodwork through Gavin Tomlin and Ryan Leonard, had to come from behind to get the victory after Frankie Merrifield had put the Dons ahead in the 39th minute.

The 18-year-old midfielder fired a deflected 14-yard shot past Shrimpers goalkeeper Paul Smith although the visitors were unable to hang on to their lead. Southend drew level 14 minutes into the second half when Tomlin scored from the penalty spot after Britt Assombalonga had been brought down by George Francomb.

Dagenham & Redbridge sprung a surprise by dumping League 1 Stevenage out of the Johnstone's Paint Trophy at the first hurdle courtesy of a fine 3-2 win. First-half goals from Brian Woodall, Josh Scott and Michael Spillane's penalty did the trick for the Daggers as they claimed their first win of the season.

Two quality free-kicks from Ed Upson helped Yeovil Town to a 3-0 win over West Country rivals Bristol Rovers at the Memorial Stadium.

A superb 25-yard strike from substitute Scott Neilson sent Crawley Town through courtesy of a 3-2 home win over League 2 leaders Gillingham.

Aldershot Town moved into the second round after winning 4-3 on penalties at Exeter City, with the tie having finished goalless.