Three budding sports journalists won a day out at Wembley thanks to a partnership between The Football League and the National Council for the Training of Journalists (NCTJ).

This season the NCTJ has held a competition to recognise the best performing sports journalism students. The three winning students were rewarded for their outstanding exam performance with the unique opportunity of writing a Play-Off Final match report from the Wembley press box.

Read second prize winner Will Wainewright's report from the League 1 Final below:

Huddersfield Town 0-0 Sheffield United (Huddersfield win 8-7 on penalties)
npower League 1 Play-Off Final
Wembley, London
26 May 2012
Attendance: 52,100

By Will Wainewright

Huddersfield Town's back-up keeper Alex Smithies secured his side's promotion to the npower Championship by scoring the winning penalty of an extraordinary shootout against Yorkshire rivals Sheffield United, following a goalless League 1 Play-Off Final at Wembley.

The Terriers missed their first three penalties before scoring five in a row to win 8-7, with Blades keeper Steve Simonsen blasting over the final effort to decide a tightly-fought contest.

Simon Grayson's men will now compete in the second tier of English football while Danny Wilson's United must wait another season thanks to the winner from Smithies, who was only playing due to a hand injury suffered by first-choice keeper Ian Bennett.

Big-match nerves combined with rigid formations to stifle creativity for large periods of the game as West Yorkshire met South Yorkshire at the home of football.

On a baking day, the sides began in cagey style eiyh Kallum Higginbotham's scuffed shot wide to the left for Huddersfield summing up a barren first 15 minutes.

But the game soon opened up with Terriers 'keeper Smithies suffering a nervy moment by failing to claim a deep cross which Lee Williamson headed wide.

The Blades, led by ex-Barnsley boss Wilson, continued to press but Stephen Quinn failed to convert Richard Cresswell's sharp cross. Neither side made inroads with Town's 40-goal talisman Jordan Rhodes failing to get into the game.

Smithies came and missed another cross ten minutes from the break before United, looking to follow City rivals Sheffield Wednesday up into the npower Championship, again threatened through Matt Hill's blocked shot.

Town boss Simon Grayson had led his side to the npower League 1 Play-Off Final after replacing Lee Clark, who was controversially sacked in February, and they began the second half with more intent as Danny Ward's curved shot from the edge of the box cracked the crossbar in the game's best effort.

Proceedings then opened up as the sides, spurred on by two boisterous sets of fans, appeared to realise the significance of the prize on offer.

Grayson's men again went close on the hour when captain Peter Clarke headed wide by a whisker from a corner on the left, leading fans to one side of the goal to prematurely think Town had gone ahead.

Stephen Quinn's shot for the Blades brushed the side netting with a quarter of an hour remaining as both sides searched in vain for a late decisive breakthrough.

And Huddersfield looked to have secured it when Lee Novak poached on keeper Steve Simonsen's save from Clarke's header, only to see his effort toed off the line by some heroic last-ditch Blades defending by captain Michael Doyle.

The referee's whistle brought the increasingly frantic final stages of normal time to an end, setting the stage for 30 minutes which would decide the outcome of a bruising league campaign.

Substitute Chris Porter had the first opportunity of extra time but his goal-bound header for United was deflected wide as his side enjoyed the lion's share of possession during tense exchanges.

Tommy Miller then almost won it for Town but his well-struck effort was parried away by Blades keeper Simonsen, who turned from hero to villain soon after as the match was decided in the cruellest manner possible for Wilson's men.

Huddersfield Town (4-4-2): Smithies; Hunt, P Clarke, Morrison, Woods; Higginbotham (Roberts 78), Miller, Johnson, Ward (Lee 99); Novak (Arfield 115), Rhodes.

Substitutes not used: T Clarke, Colgan (GK).

Sheffield United (4-4-2): Simonsen; Lowton, Maguire, Collins, Hill; Williamson, Doyle, Montgomery, Flynn (O'Halloran 29); Quinn, Creswell (Porter 84).

Substitutes not used: Howard (GK), Taylor, McAllister.