Striker Jake Cassidy put Colchester United to the sword as Tranmere Rovers climbed to the top of npower League 1 with a 4-0 victory.

The Wales Under-21 marksman hit a hat-trick, while Zoumana Bakayogo was also on the scoresheet for unbeaten Rovers. The margin of victory would have been more but Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro's brilliant solo effort struck a post.

Yeovil Town occupy second place after claiming a 2-1 victory over Doncaster Rovers thanks to goals from ex-Rovers striker James Hayter and substitute Gozie Ugwu.

Lee Hughes and Alan Judge were on target in a 2-0 win for Notts County that ensure Bury remain winless in League 1.

Nicky Ajose helped promoted Crawley Town continue their promising start to the season with a third win in four league games, beating Leyton Orient 1-0. Ajose, on loan from Peterborough United, struck in the 72nd minute with a well-placed low shot after being set up by substitute Michael Jones.

Sheffield United kept their unbeaten start to the season intact with a thrilling 5-3 win triumph over Bournemouth.

Tommy Elphick put the Cherries ahead before a Ryan Flynn double in the space of seven first-half minutes gave United the lead. John Cofie extended that, but Lee Barnard reduced the deficit only for Richard Cresswell to restore it. Marc Pugh made it 4-3, but then Nick Blackman's penalty late on made the game safe for the Blades.

Darius Charles' superb solo effort saw Stevenage draw 1-1 with Shrewsbury Town after Paul Parry had sent the visitors ahead, while Luke Chadwick scored his third goal of the week to set MK Dons on their way to a comfortable 2-0 victory over Carlisle United.

Max Clayton's first-half strike secured Crewe Alexandra a 1-0 victory and left managerless Coventry City still looking for their first league win of the season. Brentford secured a late 2-2 draw at Walsall when Clayton Donaldson nodded home on the stroke of full time.

Jonathan Franks and Luke James earned Hartlepool United their first win of the season and piled the pressure on Scunthorpe boss Alan Knill, who saw his side slump to a 2-0 defeat. Portsmouth's misery shows no signs of ending after Oldham Athletic's Jonathan Grounds fired them to a 1-0 defeat. Jordan Obita and Cliff Byrne were sent off as both sides finished with 10 men.