Tranmere Rovers advanced to the npower League 1 summit after a 2-0 home victory over managerless Coventry City.

Rovers secured all three points late in the day, strikes from Jake Cassidy in the 79th minute and Andy Robinson in the 83rd seeing off the struggling Sky Blues, who are now second-bottom of the table.

Tranmere moved into top spot at the expense of Notts County, who are a point worse off in second following their 2-2 draw at Oldham Athletic.

County - reduced to 10 men in the first half when Andre Boucaud was sent off - were 1-0 up shortly after the restart through Joss Labadie, but Latics debutant Matt Derbyshire swiftly equalised.

Robbie Simpson then missed the chance to put the home side in front by failing to convert a penalty and Jamal Campbell-Ryce restored the visitors' lead in the 82nd minute, only for another Oldham player making his bow, Jose Baxter, to draw things level again within three minutes.

Third-placed Stevenage also drew 2-2, coming from 2-0 down to take a point from their home match against Crewe Alexandra, while Crawley Town are level on points with Stevenage in fourth after their 2-1 win at Preston North End, Gary Alexander scoring both goals for the visitors and Paul Huntington replying late on.

Fifth-placed Walsall triumphed 2-1 at Portsmouth with James Baxendale and Florent Cuvelier making Izale McLeod's goal worthless, while Yeovil Town - the other side currently making up the top six - were beaten 1-0 at MK Dons and Charlie MacDonald's goal.

Sheffield United's 1-1 draw with Bury at Bramall Lane saw them slip out of the Play-Off berths, with Nick Blackman and Peter Sweeney trading early goals.

Elsewhere, Scunthorpe United moved off the foot of the table with a 1-0 victory at Shrewsbury Town given to them by Leon Clarke, while Doncaster Rovers won 2-1 at Colchester United, who are now rock-bottom. David Cotterill opened things up for Doncaster but Magnus Okuonghae before Andy Bond put through his own goal.

Bournemouth and Hartlepool United drew 1-1, with Matt Tubbs rescuing a last-minute point for the Cherries after Simon Walton's penalty, while Carlisle United and Swindon Town played out a 2-2 draw.