Mark Robins' first game as Coventry City boss did not go to plan at the Ricoh Arena as the Sky Blues extended their winless run to eight games with a 2-1 loss against Carlisle United.

Robins' men were booed off after their fifth npower League 1 defeat, veteran striker Danny Cadamarteri ensuring Robins' honeymoon lasted just 25 minutes before he put the visitors in front from the penalty spot. The hosts rallied through David McGoldrick, who headed home Carl Baker's 38th minute cross, but Danny Livesey struck a 57th minute winner for Carlisle.

Leaders Tranmere Rovers came from behind to win 5-2 at promoted Crawley Town. Danny Holmes put in-form Rovers in front but goals from Josh Simpson and Kyle McFadzean in the first 15 minutes threatened an upset. The visitors stormed back, though, with Jake Cassidy scoring twice and Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro and Andy Robinson also on target.

Notts County leapfrogged Stevenage into second place by brushing aside crisis club Portsmouth 3-0 at Meadow Lane, Yoann Arquin scoring twice and Alan Judge also netting. Stevenage were forced to settle for a point in a 1-1 draw at Doncaster Rovers, Oliver Risser giving the visitors a 16th minute lead before Chris Brown bundled home an equaliser 11 minutes from time.

Dean Bowditch hit a hat-trick as Milton Keynes Dons continued their good start to the campaign with a 4-1 triumph at rock-bottom Bury. Bowditch netted in the 33rd, 55th and 66th minutes and, after Lenell John-Lewis pulled one back for the hosts on 81, Luke Chadwick finished the job with a fourth in stoppage time.

Sheffield United remained unbeaten after Neill Collins' 55th-minute header secured a 1-0 win at Yeovil Town, while Swindon Town hammered Bournemouth 4-0 with a brace from Matt Ritchie and further goals from Andy Williams and Adam Rooney.

Walsall came from behind to prevail 3-1 at Preston North End, who led through Joel Byrom before James Baxendale and a late double from George Bowerman turned the game in the Saddlers' favour.

Andy Monkhouse's stoppage-time strike rescued a point for Hartlepool United in a 2-2 home draw with Shrewsbury Town. Jonathan Franks put the hosts ahead before a Marvin Morgan double looked to have earned the visitors the win.

Crewe Alexandra and Leyton Orient shared a 1-1 draw at Alexandra Stadium, Matt Tootle opening the scoring and Martin Rowlands equalising for the Os, who had Anthony Griffith sent off late on.

Finally, Adam Forshaw's 17th minute goal gave Brentford a 1-0 win over Oldham Athletic, and a Leon Clarke penalty after 76 minutes was enough for Scunthorpe United to see off Colchester United 1-0 at Glanford Park.