Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro hit a second-half double as Tranmere Rovers extended their lead at the top of npower League 1 to four points with a a 3-1 win over struggling Scunthorpe United at Glanford Park.

Karl Hawley's 15th minute header had put the home side in front on 15 minutes but James Wallace headed a 62nd minute equaliser before Akpa Akpro netted on 64 and 88 to seal Rovers' win.

Tranmere's good night got better as all three clubs who started the night immediately behind them in the table failed to win, with Notts County stunned by a late brace in a 2-1 home defeat to Stevenage.

Jamal Campbell-Ryce put County ahead with a 71st minute penalty, but Stevenage equalised with a Lucas Akins spot-kick on 83 - after Alan Sheehan was sent off for deliberate hand-ball - and the visitors snatched the points with an injury time strike from substitute Robin Shroot.

Milton Keynes Dons failed to capitalise on County's misfortune as they were held to a 1-1 draw at Coventry City. Richard Wood headed home a Gary McSheffrey corner to put the home side in front on 34 minutes, but Stephen Gleeson equalised for the Dons before half-time.

Swindon Town were beaten 1-0 at home by struggling Colchester United, for whom Michael Rose scored a 70th minute winner. And Walsall were also shocked at home by Leyton Orient, with early goals from Lee Cook and Dean Cox sending the O's on the way to the points before Will Grigg made the final score 2-1 with a 57th-minute penalty.

Crawley Town's strong start continued with a 3-1 win over Bournemouth, Hope Akpan and Joe Walsh giving the home side a first-half lead and adding a third through Nicky Adams after Lee Barnard had reduced the deficit.

Paul Gallagher's 89th minute winner gave Sheffield United a 2-1 win over Hartlepool United at Victoria Park. Dave Kitson put the Blades in front with a 27th minute header but veteran Steve Howard thought he had salvaged a point with a header of his own 12 minutes from time.

Goals from Jack King, Scott Laird and Stuart Beavon sent Preston North End to a 3-1 win at Doncaster Rovers, for whom David Cotterill had briefly equalised from long range. Meanwhile Gabor Gyepes scored late to give Portsmouth a 2-1 win at Yeovil Town, for whom Reuben Reid's penalty had cancelled out an early Izale McLeod opener.

Second-half goals from James Tarkowski and Matt Derbyshire helped Oldham Athletic to a 2-0 win at Crewe Alexandra, while Brentford against Shrewsbury Town finished goalless.