Tranmere Rovers moved five points clear at the top of npower League 1 after a 1-0 win at Oldham Athletic, while closest challengers Sheffield United and Stevenage both lost.

Adam McGurk volleyed home Jake Jervis' cross for the only goal at Boundary Park as Ronnie Moore's men registered their 11th win of an increasingly impressive season.

The Blades saw their unbeaten start to the season come to an end at Milton Keynes Dons for whom Shaun Williams scored a last-minute penalty and Stevenage were thrashed 4-1 at home by Preston North End.

Stuart Beavon and Greg Tansey traded early goals before Jack King gave the visitors the lead just after the half-hour mark. Jeffrey Monakana and Nicky Wroe then completed the scoring in the second half as North End moved to within three points of the Play-Off spots.

Crawley Town, in fourth, were held to a 1-1 draw at fifth-placed Notts County. Former York City duo Andre Boucaud and Neal Bishop combined for the latter to put County ahead after 12 minutes but Jonathan Forte's tap-in on the stroke of half-time earned his side a share of the spoils.

Swindon Town climbed into the top six after a 2-0 win at Walsall. Paolo Di Canio's side took a first-minute lead through Simon Ferry and Matt Ritchie made the points safe in the second half.

Brentford moved up to eighth but had goalkeeper Simon Moore to thank as they beat Carlisle United 2-1. Moore saved Joe Garner's late spot-kick to maintain his side's five-game unbeaten run.

Bournemouth made it seven games without defeat as Harry Arter scored in their 1-0 win at Doncaster Rovers, while on-loan Joe Edwards netted the winner as Yeovil Town beat rock-bottom Hartlepool United by the same score. Pools remain six points adrift of second-bottom Shrewsbury Town, who were beaten 2-1 at Leyton Orient.

Adam Lockwood and Steven Schumacher scored as Bury beat managerless Portsmouth 2-0 at Gigg Lane and Scunthorpe United's resurgence under returning boss Brian Laws continued at Coventry City. Fresh from their stunning 4-1 win at Walsall in midweek in Laws' first match back in his third spell in charge, the Iron won 2-1 at the Ricoh Arena.

Colchester United squandered a 2-0 lead to go down 3-2 at Crewe Alexandra. Freddie Sears and Ian Henderson put the visitors in command, but Crewe struck six minutes into the second half through Lauri Dalla Valle. Luke Murphy converted a 64th-minute penalty and Mathias Pogba headed home the winner 10 minutes later.