Doncaster Rovers ended resurgent Hartlepool United's seven-game unbeaten run as they defeated them 3-0 to stay top of npower League 1.

Iain Hume opened the scoring for league leaders Doncaster before James Coppinger and Billy Paynter also beat the defences of Pools keeper Scott Flinders to wrap up the win.

The result keeps Rovers one point clear of Sheffield United at the top of the table following their victory over Oldham Athletic, while Hartlepool are still firmly in the relegation zone.

Sheffield United made sure Doncaster could not open up a gap at the top thanks to second-half goals by Michael Doyle and Dave Kitson in their victory at Boundary Park.

Swindon Town maintained their promotion hopes as they came from behind to claim a late 2-1 win at Coventry City to stay in third, while Tom Adeyemi's 70th-minute goal for Brentford saw them beat Scunthorpe United 1-0 and stay in fourth place ahead of Yeovil Town, who are also on 61 points, following their own 1-0 win over Tranmere Rovers courtesy of Edward Upson's score.

Jamie Proctor scored a goal in each half for Crawley Town as they beat Bury 2-0 while Alan Judge's first-half strike was enough for Notts County to see off 10-man Carlisle United who saw Lee Miller sent off.

Portsmouth saw off a rally from Crewe Alexandra to win 2-1 but they remain rock bottom of League 1, while Charlie MacDonald scored a goal in each half as Leyton Orient beat Bournemouth 3-1.

Two goals within the first seven minutes saw Milton Keynes Dons draw 1-1 against Preston North End at the stadium:mk. Adam Chicksen scored for the home side in only the second minute before William Hayhurst levelled for Preston five minutes later.

A Jabo Ibehre brace inspired Colchester United to a 2-0 win at Stevenage, while Will Grigg scored a penalty and then fired another in open play as he helped Walsall to a 3-1 win over Shrewsbury Town.

Grigg opened the scoring from the spot after Febian Brandy was fouled by Stephen McGinn before Craig Westcarr doubled Walsall's lead just after the break. Grigg added his second for a three-goal cushion before David McAllister headed a consolation goal for the visitors.