Friday 2nd August

Harry Maguire's second-half header gave Sheffield United a 2-1 victory over Notts County and David Weir his first win as Blades manager as the curtain raised on the 2013/14 Sky Bet Football League season.

The game was one of six special anniversary fixtures to commemorate the Football League's 125th Anniversary, with Notts County being the oldest professional club and Bramall Lane being the oldest professional ground still in use.

But it was a new-look Sheffield United, playing under rookie boss Weir, that were the better side and they were already on top by the time County's Gary Liddle was shown a straight red card when he was penalised for a high challenge on Kevin McDonald in the 13th minute.

McDonald made the numerical advantage count on the half-hour when he tucked home from 16 yards following good work down the right by Febian Brandy.

The Blades were in control but were stunned just before the hour mark when substitute Enoch Showunmi scored with his first touch, slotting in calmly from 20 yards.

But Notts County's joy was short-lived as Maguire headed home a free-kick at the far post, with the hosts missing a string of late chances to make the victory even sweeter.

Saturday 3rd August

Club record signing Britt Assombalonga enjoyed a competitive debut to remember for Peterborough as he struck the match-winner against Swindon Town on the opening day of the Sky Bet League 1 season.

The 20-year-old striker, a summer capture from Watford, scored the only goal of the game with a fierce right-footed winner early on as highly fancied Peterborough saw off Swindon

The victory sees Posh claim an early advantage over promotion favourites Wolverhampton Wanderers, who played out a goalless draw with Preston North End in their first match.

Coventry City's problems continued as, after fighting back from two goals to draw level at 2-2, they conceded a late goal to lose 3-2 at Crawley Town.

The Sky Blues, who started the new campaign with a 10-point deduction, had looked to have salvaged a point when second-half goals from Callum Wilson and Franck Moussa saw them cancel out early efforts from Jamie Proctor and Joe Walsh

However, the visitors were left empty handed when Mike Jones netted an 84th-minute winner for Crawley.

Bristol City, who came down from the Championship alongside Wolves and Peterborough, drew 2-2 at home to promoted Bradford City at Ashton Gate. Scott Wagstaff and Jay Emmanuel-Thomas twice put the hosts ahead but equalisers from Nahki Wells and Rory McArdle earned Bradford a point.

None of the four sides who were playing League 2 football last season managed to start with a win as champions Gillingham were beaten 1-0 at home by Colchester United, substitute Andy Bond netting the winner late on, while Rotherham United and Port Vale both drew.

Rotherham did well even to get a point though after trailing 3-1 at Crewe Alexandra with five minutes to go, goals from Ben Pringle and Lee Frecklington salvaging a draw for the visitors.

Crewe were 2-0 up in the first nine minutes through Anthony Grant and Max Clayton, and Harry Davis made it 3-1 after Frecklington had pulled a goal back.

Vale drew 1-1 at home with last year's losing League 1 Play-Off finalists Brentford, who went ahead through Shaleum Logan's fine first-half solo goal only to be pegged back by Doug Loft's equaliser moments later.

Leyton Orient took advantage of Lee Miller's first-half dismissal to run riot in a 5-1 win at Carlisle United.

Orient took the lead through Kevin Lisbie's stooping header and after Miller was sent off for clattering Nathan Clarke, who was taken to hospital, Scott Cuthbert headed home the visitors second.

Carlisle pulled one back through David Amoo's penalty, but David Mooney's header and two curling efforts from Dean Cox sealed a superb win.

There were also plenty of goals at Stevenage where visiting Oldham Athletic claimed a 4-3 win, Jose Baxter netted a late penalty so clinch his side the points.

Darius Charles put Stevenage ahead before goals from James Tarkowski, Baxter and Christian Montano made it 3-1 to Oldham. The home side hit back through Greg Tansey and Filipe Morais, but Baxter slotted the winner four minutes from time.

Craig Westcarr struck twice and also set up Chelsea loanee Milan Lalkovic for another goal as Walsall earned a 3-1 home win over Tranmere Rovers, who replied through Andy Robinson's free-kick.

In Saturday's other game, Shrewsbury Town and Milton Keynes Dons shared a goalless draw.