Saturday 10th August

Leigh Griffiths scored twice as Wolverhampton Wanderers thumped Gillingham 4-0 to record their first victory of the new season and their first under manager Kenny Jackett.

Wolves had opened their Sky Bet League 1 campaign with a draw at Preston and then suffered Capital One Cup embarrassment against Morecombe in midweek.

But Jackett's men put Gillingham to the sword with Griffths, Lee Evans and Bakary Sako putting them 3-0 up at half-time, when they left to standing ovation.

The newly-relegated Wolves played in front of a supporters banner which read "this is our love, and it knows no division" - and Griffiths sent the loyal fans home happy by wrapping up the win with a second-half penalty.

Free-scoring Leyton Orient are top of the embryonic league table after 3-0 victory over Shrewsbury Town, with two goals David Mooney and a third from Moses Odubajo.

Second-placed Peterborough United have also opened their league campaign with back-to-back wins after coming from a goal down to beat Notts County 4-2 at Meadow Lane.

After Dean Leacock had put the hosts ahead, Tommy Rowe, Tyrone Barnett, Grant McCann and Britt Assombolonga sealed Peterborough's win before a late consolation penalty from Yoann Arquin.

Walsall and Colchester United have also started their season with back-to-back league wins. James Baxendale's goal was enough for Walsall to beat Oldham Athletic and Gavin Massey's strike earned Colchester the win against Port Vale.

Bradford City won 4-0 to inflict another league drubbing on Carlisle United following their 5-1 home defeat to Leyton Orient on the opening weekend.

Carlisle did beat Blackburn Rovers in the League Cup in midweek but they were 3-0 down inside nine minutes with Mark Yeates, Nahki Wells and James Hanson putting Bradford in control before Gary Jones added a fourth.

Brentford followed up their opening-day draw with a 3-1 win against Sheffield United, with summer signing Will Grigg scoring twice after Adam Forshaw's opener had been cancelled out by Neill Collins' header.

Tranmere Rovers snatched a point in a dramatic 3-3 draw with Crawley Town thanks to Ryan Lowe's injury-time equaliser.

Joe Thompson's double gave Rovers a 2-1 half-time lead but Billy Clarke and a second from Joe Walsh turned the tide in Crawley's favour before Lowe's equaliser.

Patrick Bamford's goal was enough for Milton Keynes Dons to beat Crewe Alexandra, Swindon Town beat Stevenage with a goal from Massimo Luongo while Rotherham United and Preston North End played out a goalless draw.

Sunday 11th August

On Sunday, Coventry City and Bristol City battled out a thrilling encounter which ended 5-4 to the Sky Blues.

City raced into a 3-0 half-time lead and the sides would swap another six goals before the final whistle in one of the most dramatic matches in recent memory.

First Leon Clarke scored a 27th-minute penalty after Aden Flint felled Callum Wilson. Wilson then added a second 15 minutes later, collecting a through ball from John Fleck before curling into the top corner from the left side of the box.

And Billy Daniels scored a first senior goal in the final minute of the half, heading home Franck Moussa's cross from the left.

The Robins responded. Sam Baldock met Jay Emmanuel-Thomas's low right-wing cross to pull one back in the 54th minute.

Emmanuel-Thomas scored their second in the 62nd minute, when his free-kick deflected past Joe Murphy, before Baldock completed the comeback 14 minutes later when one-on-one with the keeper.

Wilson went up the other end and scored a minute later with a close-range volley before Marvin Elliott equalised again with 84 minutes on the clock.

But Daniels had the final say in a topsy-turvy afternoon, smashing in from six yards in the 87th minute.