Port Vale boss Micky Adams praised man of the match Lee Hughes after the 37-year-old striker scored one goal and made another in his team's first win of the season, 2-1 against Bradford.

Vale's pressure told in the 42nd minute when Bradford left-back James Meredith scuffed an intended backpass and Hughes nipped in to round Jon McLaughlin and slot the ball into an unguarded net.

The visitors equalised in the 59th minute after a brilliant piece of skill by Nahki Wells, who fired in the loose ball from two yards after his initial effort was saved.

But Vale's winner arrived seven minutes later when Doug Loft struck a deflected 20-yard shot from Hughes' perfect lay-off.

Adams, who handed Hughes his first start of the campaign, said: "I wanted a big man to lead us and what a fantastic performance he gave. He epitomised everything we did.

"There are things in his past which I can't deal with and he's had to deal with, but I can only say he has been first class since the first day he walked through the door at this football club.

"But it was a terrific team effort all round and I'm absolutely delighted. I questioned my players' enthusiasm for the game after we lost at Colchester last week, but no-one could question them here.

"From the off they were at it and their effort and commitment to help each other was first class. They stuck their bodies on the line and I couldn't have asked for a better response.

"Bradford are a good side and we had to withstand a bit of pressure in the second half, but we could have been three or four goals up at half-time.

"The performance at Colchester shocked me because I know I've got some very good professionals in the dressing room, but the reaction they gave was outstanding."

Bradford manager Phil Parkinson felt his side merited at least a point.

He said: "It was a full-on competitive game and I thought over the 90 minutes we had the better chances and deserved something out of it.

"We knew Vale would be fired up after a defeat last week and I warned my players exactly what sort of game it would be.

"We didn't handle that too well in the first-half when Vale were better than us in certain areas. We didn't stop the crosses coming into our box well enough and were put under pressure.

"James Meredith has been brilliant since he joined us, but the pitch was sticky and not the kind of day to pass the ball back to the keeper.

"But we got the reaction we asked of our players in the second-half. We defended much better and managed to get back on terms before losing to a very disappointing goal.

"The lad (Loft) struck the ball well, but Jon McLaughlin would have saved it comfortably if it hadn't taken a big deflection.

"It's one of those things and we have to move on to next week and make sure we play for the full 90 minutes."