Morecambe took their place on top of npower League 2 after beating Exeter City 3-0 away from home on the opening day of the season.

Shrimps midfielder Andrew Fleming fired home in the 14th minute before his 35-yard lob 10 minutes later doubled the visitors' lead at St James' Park.

Izak Reid then sealed the win just after half an hour in a convincing display for the travelling side.

Rotherham United were also on form in their opening league fixture as they beat 10-man Burton Albion 3-0 at the New York Stadium. Daniel Nardiello converted a penalty in the fifth minute when he was brought down by Zander Diamond and Kayode Odejayi headed the Millers into a two-goal lead six minutes later, before Ben Pringle finished things off.

Meanwhile, Port Vale also won by a 3-0 margin at home to Barnet. Louis Dodds opened the scoring in the eighth minute before Jennison Myrie-Williams doubled the lead from the penalty spot and Pope wrapped up the comfortable victory with his strike in the 75th minute.

Elsewhere, Bristol Rovers slumped to a 2-0 defeat by Oxford United at the Memorial Stadium. Jake Forster-Caskey scored first for the U's with a 20-yard curling shot before Alfie Potter drilled the second in the 32nd minute.

Cheltenham Town beat Dagenham and Redbridge 2-0 in their match at Whaddon Road thanks to Shaun Harrad and Jermaine McGlashan, while Danny Kedwell scored twice as Gillingham powered past Bradford City 3-1.

Newly-promoted York City suffered a disappointing start to their season as they were beaten 3-1 at home by Wycombe Wanderers. Matt Bloomfield, Sam Wood and Gareth Ainsworth all scored for the Wanderers with Jason Walker's 54th-minute reply not enough in a comfortable game for the visitors.

Plymouth Argyle were beaten 2-0 at home by Aldershot Town thanks to Troy Brown's header and Josh Payne's penalty, while Karl Sheppard's 61st-minute goal saw Accrington Stanley beat Southend United at Roots Hall.

Elsewhere, Fleetwood Town and Torquay United drew 0-0, Rochdale and Northampton Town also played out a goalless draw, while Jack Midson's first-half goal was enough for AFC Wimbledon to beat Chesterfield 1-0.