Gillingham held on with 10 men for the entire second half to beat Southend United 1-0 and remain top of npower League 2.

The Gills took an interval lead through Danny Kedwell's penalty and although Bradley Dack was sent off for violent conduct in first-half stoppage time, they preserved their clean sheet and top spot.

Free-scoring Port Vale remain second after a 5-2 win over Fleetwood Town, who drop from third to fourth. Vale went ahead through the in-form Tom Pope and Ashley Vincent quickly doubled their lead. Junior Brown pulled a goal back but Pope's second restored the two-goal margin and Louis Dodds struck twice to make it 5-1 before Steven Gillespie's penalty provided a consolation.

Fleetwood were overtaken by Exeter City, who twice came from behind to beat Wycombe Wanderers. Gareth Ainsworth struck first for the Chairboys but the Grecians hit back through Arron Davies. Dean Morgan's looping header restored Wycombe's lead but was immediately cancelled out by Jamie Cureton before Danny Coles' goal sealed it.

Bradford City's 3-1 win over Morecambe took them fifth ahead of Accrington Stanley, who were beaten 4-3 in a thrilling game at Chesterfield.

Rochdale ended Rotherham United's unbeaten home record since moving to the New York Stadium with a helter-skelter 3-2 win.

Veteran Dele Adebola put Dale ahead on the stroke of half-time but Alex Revell equalised on the hour and five minutes later, Daniel Nardiello put the hosts 2-1 up. Bobby Grant's penalty levelled the game and Kevin McIntyre put the visitors ahead for the second time in the game with 11 minutes remaining.

Cheltenham Town inflicted a fourth defeat in a row on Oxford United, Darren Carter and Shaun Harrad putting the hosts 2-0 up before Peter Leven pulled one back from the spot with 10 minutes remaining

Rene Howe gave Torquay United a 1-0 win at AFC Wimbledon and Aldershot Town's Craig Reid scored the only goal against Barnet.

Northampton Town were also 1-0 winners thanks to Adebayo Akinfenwa's goal away to Dagenham and Redbridge while Plymouth Argyle and Bristol Rovers drew 1-1. Conor Hourihane put Plymouth ahead but Rovers equalised through Tom Parkes.