Deon Burton's 11th minute header sent npower League 2 leaders Gillingham on the way to their seventh win out of eight this season with an impressive 2-0 success at Port Vale.

Vale started the day in second place but Gillingham seized the initiative when Burton netted with a close-range header, before Chris Whelpdale's 25th minute drive from the edge of the box rounded off the scoring.

And the day got better for Gills as third-placed Exeter City suffered a 2-1 defeat at Southend United which leaves the Kent side with a six-point lead at the top of the table after just eight games. Scot Bennett's 51st minute opener looked set to maintain the Grecians' good start to the season but Barry Corr equalised and Freddy Eastwood headed an 88th minute winner.

Bradford City's promising start continued as they won 2-0 at Oxford United. After a goalless first half, Andrew Davies opened the scoring after 52 minutes and Nakhi Wells made sure of the points midway through the second half.

Fleetwood Town, who started the day in fourth, were held to a goalless draw at struggling Bristol Rovers, while rock-bottom Barnet also drew 0-0 with Rotherham United, who had Alex Revell sent off 10 minutes from time.

A late penalty double from Warren Feeney helped Plymouth Argyle strike back from 2-0 down and claim a 3-2 win at Morecambe. Jack Redshaw and Richard Brodie had put the home side in command before Ross Jenkins narrowed the deficit 18 minutes from time and Feeney kept his nerve from the spot twice in the last 10 minutes.

Dagenham & Redbridge are still searching for their first win but will be happy to come away from Spotland with a 2-2 draw. Rochdale led 2-0 at the break through Dele Adebola and Bobby Grant but the game changed when Kevin McIntyre was sent off on the hour. Michael Spillane scored from the resulting penalty, and Sam Williams hit the equaliser on 68 minutes.

Padraig Armond clinched the points with an 89th minute winner for Accrington Stanley at home to Aldershot Town, who had Peter Vincenti sent off for violent conduct in injury-time.

Calvin Zola's last-gasp goal earned Burton Albion a draw at Torquay United, who led through Rene Howe.

Sammy Moore's effort gave AFC Wimbledon a 1-0 win at Wycombe Wanderers, while the games between Northampton Town and Chesterfield, and York City and Cheltenham Town ended goalless.