Chris Whelpdale and Deon Burton got the goals as Gillingham maintained their two point lead at the top of npower League 2.

Whelpdale opened the scoring at Bristol Rovers after three minutes and Burton Albion wrapped up the three points with the second coming a minute before half-time.

Second-placed Port Vale kept up the pressure on Gillingham with a 4-0 win over 10-man Plymouth Argyle. In the week the Pilgrims sacked manager Carl Fletcher, the visitors went down to a Tom Pope brace and goals from Jenson Myrie-Williams and Ben Williamson.

Myrie-Williams opened the scoring after 32 minutes and Plymouth forward Luke Chadwick was sent off for violent conduct two minutes later. Pope netted his first after 55 before further strikes from Williamson (77) and Pope (83) sealed an empathic win for Vale.

AFC Wimbledon moved off the bottom and out of the relegation zone with a 1-0 win away to 10-man Rochdale. Paul McCallum gave Wimbledon the lead after 56 minutes and the home side had Joe Rafferty dismissed three minutes later for a second booking.

Barnet eased their own relegation fears with a 2-0 win over Bradford City with the defeat dropping the visitors out of the play-off places, while Exeter City climbed into the play-off places as they moved up to fifth with a 2-1 win at York City.

Northampton Town moved to within a point of the play-offs with a 3-1 win against Fleetwood Town. The win also moved the Cobblers within a point of the visitors who dropped to seventh as a result of the defeat.

Jake Robinson (7 and 41) and Clive Platt (53) put Northampton in charge before Jamie Allen (90) netted a consolation for Fleetwood.

Chesterfield saw their play-off hopes dented with a 2-1 defeat at improving Wycombe Wanderers. James O'Shea gave Chesterfield the lead just before the half hour mark but Kortney Hause levelled on the stroke of half-time and Jo Kuffour (54) netted the winner for Wycombe.

Matthew Saunders (21) and Luke Howell (52) scored for Dagenham and Redbridge who won 2-0 away to Accrington Stanley.