Oxford United are top of the embryonic Sky Bet League 2 table after Johnny Mullins' late strike earned them a 2-1 victory over Bury.

Danny Rose's free-kick had given Oxford the lead before Tom Soares equalised mid-way through the second half.

But Mullins scored with eight minutes remaining to seal the victory and ensure Oxford are one of four sides to have won both their opening two league fixtures of the campaign.

The Us are joined on six points by Fleetwood Town, Chesterfield and Southend United while, at the other end, Bury, Plymouth Argyle and Hartlepool United are yet to earn a point.

Fleetwood maintained their 100 per cent start to the season with a 2-0 victory over Plymouth, sealed with two goals in two minutes from former Manchester City trainee David Ball

Southend United beat Hartlepool United courtesy of a fifth-minute strike from Freddy Eastwood and despite having Barry Corr dismissed for violent conduct in first-half stoppage time.

Chesterfield's new signings Gary Roberts and Eoin Doyle marked their home debuts with the goals in a 2-0 victory over fellow promotion-hopefuls Cheltenham Town.

Luke Moore fired AFC Wimbledon to their first win of the new season against 10-man Wycombe Wanderers, who had captain Stuart Lewis sent off midway through the first half. Moore scored three minutes later.

Burton Albion were grateful to a first-half own goal as they scraped a 1-0 win over Rochdale, who were reduced to 10 men after just seven minutes when Peter Cavanagh was dismissed for a high challenge on Robbie Weir.

The home side eventually made the breakthrough when Oliver Lancashire slid Billy Kee's pass into his own net.

Northampton Town secured their first league win with a 3-1 win against newly-promoted Newport County.

Two goals in three minutes from Jacob Blyth and Roy O'Donovan put the Cobblers in charge and Gary Deegan added a third before Conor Washington pulled a late goal back for Newport.

Dagenham and Redbridge won at home for the first time since February with a 2-0 victory over York City, with goals from Rhys Murphy and Brian Woodall.

Accrington Stanley snatched a 2-2 draw against Portsmouth with a late goal from Peter Murphy, who had put the hosts ahead before David Connolly struck twice for Pompey.

Morecambe drew 1-1 with Torquay United, who levelled Ryan Williams' opening strike with a goal from Karl Hawley after the break.

Mansfield Town drew 0-0 with Exeter City and the Bristol Rovers-Scunthorpe United match also finished goalless.