Shrewsbury Town will have to overcome a two-goal deficit if they are to beat Torquay United at home tonight and make it through to the npower League 2 Play-Off final at Old Trafford.

Graham Turner's side lost 2-0 in the first leg, at Plainmoor but they have already produced a fight this season and striker Matt Harrold is urging his team-mates to recreate the form that saw them come from three goals down after 32 minutes against Charlton Athletic to win 4-3 in the Carling Cup in August.

Speaking to the Shropshire Star Harrold who scored the fourth goal that day said: "Quite a few people have mentioned what we did against Charlton to me and we can take belief from that.

"We know the tie is definitely not over and we are all focussed about what we need to do on Friday night.

"The gaffer (Graham Turner) has made the point that when we have had blips this season, we have always come back strongly and that is what we need to do on Friday night."

Despite sitting two goals to the good the Gulls will be taking nothing for granted at the Greenhous Meadow but they go there full of confidence and so they should after scoring eight goals in three games against the Shrews this season.

Striker Billy Kee, employed on the right wing on Saturday, knows what they have to do to secure their place at Old Trafford, as he told "We have to take the game to Shrewsbury. If we go there and attack, it will make it a lot harder for them to score two goals. We've got goals in us and there is no point in just sitting back and defending.

"They were aware of us and they know what we've got. They know we can score goals from 25 yards or six yards and when you've beaten a team 5-0 earlier in the season, they're always going to be wary."


The Shrews have lost two of the three meetings between the two sides so far this season, while the other match ended all square.

Before the Play-Offs, when the sides last met in March it was an afternoon to forget for the Shrews who suffered their heaviest defeat of the season, going down 5-0 at Plainmoor.

Gavin Tomlin gave the home side the lead after just five minutes and it remained that way until half time, although the visitors had a mountain climb when defender Jermaine Grandison was sent off just before the break.

The Gulls took full advantage of their extra man in the second period and two goals in two minutes from Jake Robinson, on loan from Shrewsbury, secured the points. His first on 54 came from the penalty spot before his second goal made it 3-0. Chris Zebroski added a fourth before Shrews skipper Ian Sharps put through his own net to complete a miserable day in Devon.

The previous meeting at the Greenhous Meadow ended all square at one apiece after Elliott Benyon equalised from the penalty spot after Jake Robinson had given the Shrews the lead.

Robinson seems to have a good record in this fixture and he faces the odd situation of trying to get to Wembley, at the expense of his parent club, but if it is the Shrews who get there he could still feature in the final.

Saturday's match ended with Torquay running out 2-0 winners at Plainmoor with both goals coming in the first half. 

Zebroski opened the scoring on 29 minutes before Eunan O'Kane doubled the advantage deep into first half injury time.

In total these two sides have met 66 times with Torquay currently leading the head to head by 30 to 23, while 13 matches have ended all square.

For all the latest news on Shrewsbury please click here

For all the latest news on Torquay United please click here